Choose the Perfect Wooden Trash Can to Complement Your Kitchen Decor
A trash can is one of the most frequently used items in any kitchen. Rather than settling for a plain metal or plastic option, consider choosing a wooden trash can to add warmth and enhance your kitchen’s style.
Wooden trash cans come in a variety of designs to match any decor, from rustic reclaimed wood to sleek modern bamboo. As a natural material, wood brings a sense of craftsmanship and artisan appeal. With the right care, a timber trash can will also stand up well to daily kitchen use. Read on to learn what to look for when selecting the perfect wood kitchen garbage can to complement your space.
Why Choose a Wooden Trash Can for Your Kitchen
Metal and plastic trash cans may be ubiquitous, but wood provides some distinct advantages. Here are top reasons to consider a wood trash can for your kitchen:
- Matches any style: With options ranging from light bamboo to dark oak stains, a wood trash can fits seamlessly into traditional, modern, rustic, or farmhouse decor.
- Eco-friendly material: Sustainably-sourced wood and bamboo are greener alternatives to plastic cans.
- Artisanal appeal: Handcrafted wood trash cans have an heirloom-quality look, unlike mass-produced metal cans.
- Durable: Hardy woods like teak stand up well to moisture and everyday use when properly maintained.
- Easily cleaned: Wood won’t absorb odors like some materials. Just use mild soap and water.
Bringing the warmth of wood into your kitchen is on-trend. With the variety of shapes, stains, and styles available today, it’s easy to find a custom wood trash can to elevate your space.
Trash Can Placement
Before selecting your perfect trash can, consider where you want it situated in your kitchen. Popular placements include:
- Under the sink: Keeps trash out of sight but easily accessible.
- Counter: Handy for food prep scraps but takes up space.
- Corner: Makes use of unused area in many kitchens.
- Near cooking hubs: Allows for quick cleanup during and after meals.
Standard kitchen trash cans range from 10-15 gallon capacity. Look for slim shapes to conveniently fit under sinks. For countertop, a 5-8 gallon size provides ample room without dominating your workspace.
Beautiful Wood Species and Finishes For Trash Cans
Choosing a wood type and stain allows you to customize your kitchen trash can. Here are some top options:
With its sleek stripes and durable strength, bamboo offers a clean-lined modern accent for kitchens.
- Natural blonde color for a light and airy look
- Dark stained bamboo provides solid contrast
- Carbonized black bamboo makes a dramatic statement
Teak Wood Cans
The natural water-resistance of rich teak makes it ideal for kitchen use. Its handsome wood grain ranges from light to dark.
- Has a dense, solid feel and golden brown color
- Withstands weather, water, and scrapes without damage
- Both rustic and modern styles available
Reclaimed and Salvaged Wood
For one-of-a-kind patinas, consider a trash can made from recycled wood. Each piece will have its own unique wear pattern and charm.
- Sustainably repurposes lumber from old barns, crates, etc.
- Natural weathering adds rustic character
- Stains emphasize the aged grain and textures
Customizable Wood Finishes
For the perfect accent shade, choose a unfinished wood trash can and stain, paint, or seal it yourself. Custom colors allow you to seamlessly coordinate with your existing kitchen cabinetry and counters.
Design Ideas For Complementing Your Kitchen
Need inspiration on which style of wood trash can suits your kitchen decor? Here are some charming combinations:
- Galvanized metal liner for industrial edge
- Reclaimed barrel-shaped can
- Rough-hewn wood with natural stain
- Sleek bamboo simple shape
- Soft-close lid operation
- Glossy painted or stained finish
- Woven wicker accents
- Unpainted pine wood for rustic feel
- Vintage rubbed through paint
Don’t be afraid to mix materials, such as wood stained to match metal accents or vice versa. The options are endless!
It’s well worth taking the time to choose a trash can with style, function and quality construction suited for daily kitchen use. Keep these tips in mind while shopping:
- Select a durable wood species like teak or bamboo
- Make sure size and shape fits your intended space
- Coordinate finish with your existing decor
- Look for odor control features
- Customize with paints and stains
With the right wooden trash can, you can elevate a utilitarian kitchen necessity into an attractive focal accent. Any of the beautiful natural wood species and finishes available today will lend warmth, texture and artistry to your kitchen.