Modernize Your Kitchen With Striking Navy Blue Cabinets
Are you looking to give your kitchen an instant style upgrade but don’t want to fully remodel? Installing navy blue cabinets can add a bold, contemporary twist without overhauling the entire space.
Navy blue is having a major moment in home decor. What was once seen as an intimidating color is now becoming more mainstream. Navy adds just the right amount of drama and sophistication to a room. It manages to be dark and moody while still feeling energetic and fresh.
Why Choose Navy Blue for Your Kitchen Cabinets?
If you’re on the fence about navy blue for your kitchen cabinets, here are some compelling reasons to take the plunge:
- Adds bold, dramatic flair to your kitchen design
- Navy is a very versatile color that pairs well with many styles
- More unique than staple cabinet colors like white or wood
- Navy cabinets make a statement and become a focal point
Tired of all-white or all-wood kitchens? Navy blue cabinets are a clever way to inject color without overwhelming the space. The rich shade is eye-catching yet warm and inviting.
Design Considerations for Navy Kitchen Cabinets
While navy cabinets make a lively statement, you’ll want to choose complementary elements to keep the look cohesive. Here are some top design tips:
Complementary Paint Colors
The walls set the backdrop for your navy kitchen cabinets. Smart paint choices can make the blue pop or soften the boldness. Here are paint colors that pair beautifully with navy:
- Soften navy cabinets with light blue, green, or gray walls
- Crisp white walls pop against the navy
- Avoid matching cabinet and wall colors
Matching the cabinet and wall colors creates a monochromatic look. Instead, choose a wall color in the same tone family that complements but doesn’t mimic the navy. Soft sage green, robin’s egg blue, and agreeable gray are foolproof options.
Countertops That Work Well
With navy cabinets, you’ll want countertops that pop rather than blend. Here are countertop ideas that look marvelous with navy:
- White and light countertops (marble, quartz) contrast nicely
- Butcher block or wood countertops add warmth
- Avoid busy countertop patterns that compete
Light countertops like white marble, quartz, or concrete prevent the space from feeling too dark. Butcher block and wood countertops inject warmth. stay away from bold countertop patterns or colors like speckled granite that distract from the gorgeous navy cabinets.
Backsplash Designs to Consider
The backsplash is the perfect place to incorporate navy accents or add contrast. Here are backsplash ideas to complement navy cabinets:
- White subway tile is a popular, classic choice
- Blue and white patterned tile complements the cabinets
- Marble slab or glass tile backsplash contrasts nicely
You can’t go wrong with clean white subway tile, but also consider blue and white decorative tile for a pop of pattern. Marble slab, glass mosaic, or metal tile backsplashes also help lighten up the look.
Hardware and Fixtures
Don’t overlook the importance of hardware and lighting choices:
- Brass or black hardware pops against navy cabinets
- Nickel or silver finishes blend too much
- Incorporate accent lighting to highlight cabinets
Brass and black hardware provide contrast against the blue and give a modern twist. Under-cabinet and accent lighting show off the stylish navy cabinets.
Integrating Navy Cabinets into Kitchen Designs
With the foundation of your navy cabinets in place, extend the color scheme throughout the kitchen:
Ground the space visually by selecting flooring in tan, brown, or gray tones:
- Hardwood floors add warmth to balance cool navy tones
- Large tile patterns in porcelain or ceramic complement nicely
- Avoid matching cabinet and floor colors
Rich hardwood flooring looks stunning against the blue cabinets, as does natural stone or ceramic tile. Just steer clear of matching blue floors for a more dynamic look.
Aim for versatile appliance finishes like:
- Stainless steel appliances pair well without clashing
- Black stainless provides modern twist on traditional stainless
Stainless steel appliances suit any kitchen and pop nicely against navy cabinets. For a sleek contemporary vibe, opt for black stainless appliances instead of traditional stainless steel.
Make the most of a kitchen island by using it to show off your snazzy navy cabinets:
- Use navy on island cabinets to create a focal point
- Add seating and pendant lighting for visual interest
Including navy on the kitchen island cabinets draws the eye while anchoring the color. Incorporate pendant lighting and barstools to enhance the island as a gathering spot.
Take functionality into account with storage solutions like:
- Include drawers and pull-out cabinets for hidden storage
- Optimize corner cabinet space with lazy susans
- Use deep lower cabinets and upper glass cabinets
Get creative with pull-outs, roll-outs, and drawer organizers to maintain a streamlined look. Glass-front upper cabinets prevent the space from feeling too boxed in.
Seeing navy blue cabinets in real kitchens can provide inspiration. Notice how the navy is integrated into each design:
- Showcase photos of real navy blue kitchens
- Mix of cabinetry styles: shaker, modern, traditional
- Photos of navy cabinets in different colored kitchens
From contemporary spaces to cozy cottages, navy kitchen cabinets lend style and sophistication. Let these stunning navy kitchens ignite ideas for your own space!
Ready to make a dramatic statement in your kitchen? Navy blue cabinets pack serious visual impact. By choosing complementary elements like countertops, backsplashes, and finishes, you can create a cohesive, eye-catching kitchen design featuring your bold navy cabinets.