Choose the Perfect Gray Paint for Your Kitchen Walls
Gray paint colors are an increasingly popular choice for kitchen walls. The sophisticated neutral tone pairs beautifully with a variety of cabinetry and countertop materials. Gray adds stylish flair while still feeling soft and cozy.
But with so many gray paint options to choose from, how do you pick the perfect shade for your kitchen? The key is finding the right undertone of gray that fits your overall kitchen design.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Gray Paint
There are several important factors to keep in mind when selecting a gray paint color for your kitchen:
Your Kitchen’s Overall Design Style
Consider the aesthetic you want for your kitchen. Is your style modern and contemporary or more traditional and farmhouse? Cool-toned grays with hints of blue or green complement sleek, modern kitchens beautifully. Warm greige grays with beige or taupe undertones match more traditional kitchen designs.
Cabinet and Countertop Colors
You’ll want your gray walls to complement your existing cabinetry and counters. Cool grays pair well with bright white cabinets, while warm grays complement wood tone and medium-stained cabinets nicely. Greige grays look gorgeous with neutral countertops like quartz.
The Amount of Natural Light
The level of natural light can impact your choice of gray as well. Deeper, darker charcoal grays show up nicely and add drama in kitchens with ample natural light. For lower-light spaces, go for softer, lighter dove grays to keep things bright and airy.
The Room’s Size and Layout
Small kitchens can feel closed in with too dark of a gray, so stick to light or medium shades. Further open up a small kitchen by painting adjacent dining rooms and living spaces in the same crisp gray. For open floor plans, make sure your gray walls coordinate nicely with adjoining rooms.
The Best Gray Paint Colors for Kitchen Walls
Warm Gray Paint Colors
If you want a cozy vibe, consider these popular warm grays for your kitchen:
- Repose Gray SW 7015 – a versatile warm medium gray with beige undertones
- Requisite Gray SW 7023 – a gorgeous greige gray with a subtle beige base
- Gray Owl BM OC-52 – green and taupe undertones give this shade warmth
- Smokey Blue SW 6244 – a unique warm gray with a soft blue-gray undertone
Cool Gray Paint Colors
For modern kitchens, you can’t go wrong with these beautiful cool-toned grays:
- Silver Drop BM 2126-60 – a crisp gray with subtle hints of blue
- Peppercorn SW 7674 – a dramatic deep charcoal gray with green undertones
- Gray Matters PPG1062-3 – this dove gray has pretty lavender undertones
- Classic Gray OC-23 – an everyday soft cool gray that isn’t too stark
Dark Gray Paint Colors
Make a bold statement with these striking deep, dark grays:
- Tricorn Black SW 6258 – a rich, nearly black charcoal gray
- Thunder SW 7067 – a dramatic dark slate gray with green undertones
- Rustic Gray SW 7037 – a deep gray with subtle warm brown undertones
- Rockport Gray HC-105 – this green-gray reads lighter than it appears
Light Gray Paint Colors
If you want to keep things airy, these soft light grays are perfect:
- Gray Screen SW 7071 – a pale, subtle neutral gray
- Worldly Gray SW 7030 – a warm, greige-inspired gray
- Gray Cashmere SW 6126 – a cooler light gray with blue undertones
- Agreeable Gray SW 7029 – an extremely versatile popular light gray
Once you’ve selected the perfect gray, be sure to prep and paint your kitchen walls properly for a flawless look:
- Prep the walls by cleaning thoroughly, filling any holes, sanding glossy areas, and priming
- Use a high-quality roller and angled brush to apply the gray paint
- Roll large sections at a time, cutting in edges and corners with the brush
- Apply paint in a V or W shape and maintain a wet edge to prevent lap marks
- Do 2-3 thin coats of gray paint, allowing proper drying time between coats
Choosing that perfect shade of gray paint for your kitchen walls is worth the effort. The sophisticated neutral will add stylish flair while still feeling soft, cozy, and inviting. Just be sure to pick a gray with the right undertones to coordinate beautifully with your overall kitchen design.