5 Reasons Why You Need a Kitchen Island with Bench Seating
If you’re a homeowner who loves to entertain, then you know how important it is to have a well-designed kitchen. One of the most popular trends in kitchen design according to this concept is the kitchen island with bench seating.
This feature kitchen island is not only stylish, but it’s also space-saving and can be customized to fit any size or type of home. Plus, it’s perfect for entertaining since it allows your guests to sit and chat while you’re cooking or preparing drinks. In this article, I want to share with you some of the benefits of having a kitchen island with bench seating and how to maximize the seating area in your dream home.
Why Should a Kitchen Island Have Bench Seating?
As someone who values convenience and ease of use in the kitchen, I often find myself wondering why more people don’t incorporate a bench into their kitchen island designs. Here are five reasons why I think adding bench seating to a kitchen island is a great idea:
- It’s a space-saving solution. It’s unlikely that you’ll be able to fit more chairs or stools around your kitchen island if your space is limited. Bench seating eliminates this problem by giving you extra seating without taking up any extra space.
- It allows you to incorporate different features into your design. For example, if you want to add storage beneath the seat, that’s easy to do with benches since they typically have open sides and backs. Or, if you want to add electrical outlets for charging phones or laptops while cooking, that’s also possible with built-in benches (just be sure to consult an electrician first).
- Bench seats can make your kitchen look more beautiful and inviting overall. In my opinion, there’s something about having continuous countertop space on all sides of an island that just looks cleaner and sharper than having gaps where chairs would normally go. Plus, benches can be upholstered in fun fabrics or even leather to give your kitchen a more luxurious feel.
- It’s a great way to add extra seating without making your kitchen feel cluttered. If you have guests over often or just like to cook with family and friends, having additional seating around the island can be a lifesaver.
- Kitchen bench seats with storage are the ultimate multi-purpose solution for your kitchen. Not only do they provide extra seating, but they also offer a place to store things like table linens, serving platters, or even small appliances. And since most benches have removable cushions, they can double as a comfy spot to rest your feet while cooking or working on the island.
The Various Types of Kitchen Island with Bench Seating
There are many different types of kitchen islands with bench seating, from traditional farmhouse tables with benches to more modern designs with built-in storage and wraparound benches. Here are a few options for kitchen islands if you’re thinking about installing one.
Bench Seating With Storage For Kitchen
If you’re short on storage space, consider adding a bench seat with built-in storage to your kitchen island design. These seats are great for hiding away small appliances or pantry items that you don’t want on display all the time.
Kitchen Bench Seating With Back
If you want the option of being able to sit or stand at your island, consider adding a backless bench seat to your design. This type of seat allows for both options without taking up too much space. You can usually find these seats in either wood or metal finishes, so they’ll match the rest of your décor easily. Just make sure that the height is comfortable for everyone who uses it.
L Bench Kitchen Table
An L-shaped bench around your kitchen table creates an inviting gathering spot for family and friends alike while still providing plenty of prep space on top of the bench. This type of kitchen island works especially well in long, narrow kitchens where an L-shaped layout allows for two cooks to work side by side without getting in each other’s way.
Farmhouse Kitchen Tables With Bench
A farmhouse table with a built-in bench is a classic choice for any kitchen. These tables are typically made of wood, so they offer a warm and rustic look. Farmhouse tables can come in all different sizes, so it’s important to measure your space before you buy one. Some farmhouse tables have leaves that fold down, which makes them even more versatile.
The Benefits of Adding a Kitchen Island with Bench Seating
A kitchen island with bench seating can provide a number of benefits for any home. Here are five reasons why you may need one in your own kitchen:
- Extra counter and storage space – A kitchen island with bench seating can give you extra counter and storage space. This is especially useful if you have a small or crowded kitchen. The added surface area can be used for food preparation, as well as a place to set things when they’re not in use.
- An eating area – If your kitchen doesn’t have enough room for a separate dining table, then incorporating bench seating into your island can create an impromptu eating area.
- Additional seating for guests – A busy household often has friends and family members dropping by unexpectedly. Having additional seating at your kitchen island allows everyone to sit down and enjoy their visit without feeling cramped up.
- Improved ergonomics – By having bench seating integrated into your kitchen island, it provides a better working triangle in the kitchen as people are able to move around more freely. This improved traffic flow also helps cooks feel less isolated while preparing meals
- Increased resale value – Because potential home buyers see the many benefits that come from having a kitchen island with bench seating, it could help increase the selling price of your house.
How to Choose the Perfect Kitchen Island with Bench Seating for Your Home?
A bar area in kitchen can be the perfect place to have friends and family over for drinks or snacks. It can also provide valuable extra seating when you entertain. When choosing a kitchen island with bench seating, consider how it will fit into your overall decor and what functions it will serve. If you want a more permanent solution, built-in dining benches are available in many different styles to match your kitchen’s design. For a less formal look, try an oak kitchen island with stools instead of chairs for additional seating that can be tucked away when not in use.
Functionality is important when selecting a kitchen island with bench seating, so make sure it has enough space to comfortably accommodate people and all the features you need, such as storage or prep area. If you’ll be using it for dining, choose a style with a drop-leaf or extendable table top to give you more flexibility. Black built-in dining benches can create a sophisticated look, while oak kitchen islands add warmth and character. Consider how much traffic flow there is around your island and whether stools or chairs will get in the way when deciding which type of seating to choose.
If you need raised bar top seating for extra comfort or want to create a more intimate dining area, look for an island with bench seating that has a higher counter. This will also give you some extra storage space underneath. If your kitchen is on the small side, skip the bench altogether and go for two stools instead so you don’t block any walkways.